PA Student Information
Congratulations on your status as a PA student. As you can imagine, a very bright future awaits you, especially if you have an interest in the hottest area of PA practice: SURGERY.
Jump Start your Surgical PA Career
Land a sweet PA post-graduate training position or that high paying job in surgery. Here’s how:
- Become an AASPA Member today! You can list that on your resume. This has been proved to help support your interest in surgery.
- View Student PA Membership Benefits
- Get your resume reviewed for FREE. The coordinator of our resume review service is Gerald Simons, Immediate Past President. This is free for student members; non-student members can also have their resume reviewed by our surgical team for a fee of $60. For more information, contact AASPA.
- Apply for a student scholarship. As you can imagine, “AASPA scholarship award winner” is very powerful on a resume.
- Attend an AASPA CME Meeting. It also is a great resume builder and an outstanding place to make job leads.
- Get involved. There are many opportunities to participate in AASPA activities. Why not serve your profession, while making new friends and job leads? Contact one of our two student directors. Visit the AASPA leadership page.
- Contact AASPA leadership for career advice. We are here for you!
Mentor and Be Mentored
We will be offering a mentoring program for pre-PA students. The "mentors" will be student members of the AASPA and will be matched with pre-PA applicants to offer advice and help with the application process and act as a source of up-to-date information on the requirements of the surgical PA profession.
PA students will also be matched with fellow PAs. The coordinator of this program is Gerald Simons, the Director of Marketing. For more information, contact AASPA.
Surgical PA Student Must Reads
To gain a broad knowledge of the profession, we would suggest the following readings:
- Sutureline, the official journal of the AASPA
- Study up on possible surgical PA specialties
- Physician Assistants in American Medicine (by Hooker and Cawley)
- A Kernel in the Pod (by J.M. Jones)
- Opportunities in Physician Assistant Careers (by Sacks)